Sunday, April 10, 2005

This is your brain on wood...


woodcut brain copy 3 copy
Originally uploaded by brunhildecrow.
I like this brain very much. It is a reminder that I do in fact have one, although the evidence of that is in short supply. I feel like lately I am on a toboggan made of fruit roll-ups careening down a mountain of molten lava. But I suspect that will end as soon as I finish this last semester of school and the end of the school year. I so look forward to normalcy. And that is my obligatory excuse for not writing in this blog for over a month. Believe me - in June you will be thinking "Can't you just shut the hell up for ONE DAY??" Trust me...

But that is not why I am writing - I received a MeMe from Guusje. And since I love the topic - I am going to send it along. Incidentally, Guusje is the first of my friends to start a blog and the first to send me a MeMe. Thanks Guusje!

So here it is:
Book MeMe

You are stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?
Since I have no ability to memorize at all it would probably be best for everyone if I was "Pat the Bunny" or if I am feeling like a challange, "Good-Night Moon". But if I were thinking of a book I would hate to see disappear I would choose Anne Lamott's "Traveling Mercies" and/or Margaret Atwood's "Handmaid's Tale". Because I both love Jesus and am terrified of people who claim to love him and are planning to destroy our country in His name. Freaks. (Yes, I do express my political opinions with all the clarity and eloquence of a nine year old.)

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
Of course! I love Tony Markham from the Betsy-Tacy books by Maud Hart Lovelace and Remus Lupin from the Harry Potter books. Also Master Jervie Pendleton from "Daddy Long Legs". So I guess these crushes were more in my younger days. Now I have no crushes on anyone but El Guapo - my beloved - man among men - man above all other men - washer of dishes - fertilizer of lawns - poster of comments. (There, that ought to hold him for awhile...)

Last book(s) you read:
"Bloody Jack" by L.A. Meyer - story of an orphan girl in 1800 or so who disguises herself as a boy and goes off to sea with the Royal Navy. Ripping good fun.
The new Robert Parker "Cold Service". I suppose I could have a crush on Spenser if he weren't so concerned with everything his girlfriend eats and so dismissive of fat ladies. But he is heroic.

What are you currently reading?
"Curse of the Blue Tattoo" the sequal to "Bloody Jack". Also "Anastasia Again" because I never read the Anastasia books. And I was going to give Augustin Burroughs' "Running With Scissors" a try because I loved "Magical Thinking" so much - but I keep putting it aside for things like "Promoting Writing and Research Using the I-Search Method" and Us Magazine.

Five books you would take to a desert island?
This depends on how long I am going to be on the island. If it is just for a few weeks I would just take what I like and read it over and over. But if I am there for ages I should go for quantity. I will assume it is the latter and choose:
1. The complete Maud Hart Lovelace - all the Betsy Tacy books plus Carney, Winona and Emily bound into one volume. Not published yet, but I am sure it will be before I hit the mythical Island.
2. The complete Harry Potter - all 7 (or more if we should be so lucky) see above.
3. The complete Shakespeare - with notes so I understand what the hell I am reading.
4. The 12 volume library of the funniest things ever written including the complete works of Mark Twain, David Sedaris, Peg Bracken and Haven Kimmel and others. Yep - I dream big.
5. The Bible - you know I have to...

But realistically the five books I never tire of are:
Gone to Soldiers by Marge Piercy
Betsy and Joe by Maud Hart Lovelace
A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
and
I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

Who are you going to pass this stick to and why?
I will send it first to Hillary because she is my inspiration. Then to this very funny, articulate woman from my favorite listserv who as far as I can see doesn't list her first name on her blog so I will respect her anonymity. And Beth who is quite free and loose with the giving out of her first name.

And there you have my blog entry for the month of April. See you in May!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for doing the MeMe and I am delighted you are posting again! Library school will end. Honest. Being a librarian is so much more fun that learning to be one.

Anonymous said...

yay, lady brun! great post. i will be thinking about your questions directly. or at least thinking about thinking about them.

love,

miss mathypants

eirwenes said...

I didn't get the MeMe! Boohoo! How was it supposed to arrive?

This time of the semester is just awful. My brain has turned to cotton candy. I'm just trying to maintain until Mid-May. I'm not sure what "normalcy" is in my life, but I won't mind finding out! I think it's preparing yummy meals flush with veggies while listening to a baseball game. Sigh. Sounds wonderful.

Can't wait for you to post a dozen times a day! We can commiserate about those freaks.

Beth

madgirl said...

k so i wouldnt suggest you visitin my blog- cuz i got this sorta moon-y downer kinda period goin on and all. but - i wanted to thank you for makin me have a few head-thrown-back-kick-ass laughs :))

good luck with the whole grad school deal eh?

The Library Lady said...

My version of the meme is up, with a tip of my hat back to you.
I hope it sends people your way!

Oh, and I will never,ever, EVER set food in Chuck E Cheese if I can help it. For one thing one of my b-in-laws has a thing for costume characters and has BEEN Chuck E Cheese!