Saturday, January 15, 2005

ALA-Fever!

So I went to ALA-Midwinter today. It was great. I got tons of free books that I quite possibly will never read. But they were FREE I HAD to take them! And I nearly pulled my arms out of their sockets hauling it all home on the subway. But I digress...

The convention was at the Hynes. There were tons of booths. I came in early and I am very glad I did. I got to wander aimlessly downstairs and chat with some marketing whoosies who did not look at my tag to see I am a lowly high school librarian but rather treated me like anyone else they want to buy their stuff.

But last night! Ah...last night I was a V.I.P! Kathy Baxter asked if I wanted to go to a screening of "Because of Winn Dixie" and meet (yes I said MEET) Kate DiCamillo - who is a friend of hers from Minneapolis. I of course replied with a resounding "Hell yes!" And we met up at her hotel. We took a taxi (for maybe the fifth time in my life - man, I am provincial...) to the theatre and stopped in for a quick bite at McDonald's. I know - classy with a K. I treated Kathy to a burger (because that is the kind of selfless person I am) and we talk talk talked for an hour. She is so fun. She has the best laugh.

It was bizarre to walk with her at the theatre because people kept coming up to her and saying "How nice to see you!" and "How are you doing?" and she would smile and say something non-committal. When they walked away she would say, "I have no idea who the hell that was!" But they were invariably people who were in an audience she presented to. And of course after listening to her talk they feel like she must know them because they are such good friends. Ah, fame...

So at the theater we sat with a guy from Books on Tape who appeared to be a big cheese and was very nice and looked an awful lot like Jeff Evans. And there were two librarians who were in charge of Minnesota or something like that. Very heady company.

The movie was lovely. Just what I wanted. I loved Dave Matthews and his giant jar of plckles. I can't wait to take the boys to this movie!

After the movie we went to the Ritz Carlton for a cocktail party. The first I have attended in my life. Shocking, I know. It was fun. Fancy. I was dressed appropriatly, but barely. Not barely dressed, you understand, barely appropriate. My tan Hepburn-y pants and a new soft black sweater with a discrete rhinestone (well as discrete as rhinestones can be) pin. I did get to meet Kate DiCamillo (who heretofore will be referred to as "my dear friend Kate") and by meet I met barely. I shook her wee little hand at Kathy's behest. But it was still lovely. And Kathy (who sat next to her on the plane out) said she told "my dear friend Kate" my e-mail address. Kathy thinks that my e-mail address is the most clever in all the land.

So I caught the last train out and I had to wait a half an hour at North Station during which I simultaneously read Entertainment Weekly and eavesdropped on the cellphone conversation of the most indiscreet (and oh how I wish this thing had a spell check because I am very unsure of my spelling of discrete and indiscreet - and I am sure you can see why...) young college man ever. When he got up to catch his train I longed to lay my hand on his arm and say "First: you should not have sex with your roommate's friend if he says he is 'not gay'. It will end in heartbreak. Second: Matthew is obviously in love with you and you should consider him even if he is 'fashion challenged'. Third: getting your belly waxed may seem like a good idea in theory, but you might want to start with a small patch at first - lest you regret your decision." But I did not. Not unlike the women who feel like they are Kathy's dear friends after having heard her speak - I would not be recognized as a friend by the boy who entertained me more than Entertainment Weekly.

I am off to go see "Ray" at the local cinema. I will post my review later. And it will not at all be influenced by the fact that Jamie Foxx is my new favorite SCB. That is to say - secret celebrity boyfriend. My life partner snoozes on the couch. Dare I wake him to tell him that I am meeting my talented blind (but not really) lovah downtown? Or shall I just up and leave and devil take the hindmost? (What is with me and phrases from the past? The other day I sent Hillary an e-mail with the words "newfangled" and "nowadays". Have I turned into a curmudgeonly man of 87 or 88 and am not aware of it?)

Off to the moving picture show!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

fuck you