Monday, January 17, 2005

Got a few hours to kill? Go ahead and read my rambling take on the Golden Globes.

I am unable to watch these on the phone with my dear friend Jen (quite possibly the funniest woman on Earth) so I will watch them here.

So far:
Great Crapping Hattie, Bill Clinton is on the Globes shilling for Tsunami Relief. And I have nothing against the shilling, it just seems a strange venue. Although I suppose it will reach a huge number of people. Wonder why Bush Sr. didn't appear - perhaps they thought people might still be eating and they didn’t want to put anyone off their feed.

Okay - to review-

Clive Owen, best supporting actor for CLOSER. Cute as a bug, dull as dirt. I haven't seen CLOSER yet, but I will.

Natalie Portman, BSA for CLOSER, also. Harvard? Really?? She seemed surprisingly dumb. (Or endearingly down to earth depending on how forgiving you are.) I think perhaps she really didn't expect it so she was unprepared for a speech. I hope.

Anjelica Huston BSA for IRON JAWED ANGELS. I like her, didn't see it, could not possibly care less.

William Shatner BSA for BOSTON LEGAL Hmmm… I love the fact that they completely revamped an already existing show the way they did. But I have never seen it. Like that Spader, though.

Mariska Hegarty for BSA for L&O - SVU. She was lovely, very surprised and charming, I like it when the person is truly surprised.

Ian McSomeone (I’m SORRY! I was typing…) BSA for DEADWOOD. Too poor for HBO. GCH – I have barely seen anything.

Somewhere in here they showed a promo for KINSEY. I will see that someday. But I may rent. I love Liam Neeson, but I am just not that excited about this.

THE LIFE AND DEATH OF PETER SELLERS won for best TV movie or miniseries. It looked great, but, you know - no HBO…

Jason Bateman BA for ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT. There is no good reason for me to not be watching this show. Why do I not? I should just buy the first season on DVD and get hooked, then I would have no problem. I can just tell I would love it. Perhaps I will do that. His speech is dull but he cracked me up in DODGEBALL. Truly, that movie was stupid as can be and yet I love it so.

Commercial Break: MILLION DOLLAR BABY looks so great. I am taking the boys to see FINDING NEVERLAND tomorrow or Tuesday. I am fairly sure that they will be bored, but Fred has a straight-boy crush on Johnny Depp and Will will sit through any movie he gets in his mind that he will like. When he was home sick we watched 13 GOING ON 30 and he wanted to watch it again right afterwards in true 6 year old fashion. “Bush: 4 more years - all next week on channel 7” Can I truly maintain this sick feeling in the pit of my stomach for the nest 4 years?
Promo for NEVERLAND - it made me want to see it less.

Annette Benning BA for BEING JULIA. She is extremely self possessed. I like her very much. She seems like she is …

Sorry, I was just distracted by Juliana Margolis - she is so beautiful. Why is she not in more things? I hate it when people have standards that preclude them from being in crap that I would watch.

NIP/TUCK just won for best dramatic series. Next year they are changing the name of the show to the Barb Has Not Seen This Awards. I have been in graduate school since July, but it seems like I wasn't doing anything in the beginning of the year, it seems like I should have been able to see something.

Commercial Break: Dr. Pepper is using “Stacey's Mom” to sell soda. It appears that they have not listened to the entire song.

Geoffrey Rush for LIFE AND DEATH OF PETER SELLERS. He got to kiss all the DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES which was nice for him and had a charming and witty speech. Frankly, the first of the night…

Glenn Close for A LION IN WINTER. Okay, now I am not casting any aspersions on her, because she is wonderful, but I am guessing that the demographic of the American Foreign Press is fairly old. And when I complained earlier that Juliana Margolis is never in any crap that I watch, (THE GRID - how did that get nominated?) the emphasis is on the “that I watch” part.

The clip for CLOSER was lame.

I am surprised that I am as familiar with the best foreign movies as I am. I even saw MOTORCYCLE DIARIES. A VERY LONG ENGAGEMENT and THE SEA INSIDE are on my list. Damn, these movie stars are starting to look tired. I am going downstairs to get some ice cream and see how long it will last.

PHANTOM OF THE OPERA – I don’t think so…

Alexander Payne won best screenplay for SIDEWAYS. It is number 2 on my list (after FINDING NEVERLAND). I have to say that ELECTION is one of my top 25 of all time.

Teri Hatcher just won BA for DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES. Now I like the show very much and I think she is much funnier than I thought but Marcia Cross is the really amazing actor in this bunch. But having heard Teri’s acceptance speech, I will say that I had my hand on my heart and a look of sappy Awwwww!-ness on my face.

Ooh – Lawrence Fishburne seems to have had his head replaced with a cinder block.

Lisa Marie Presley appears to be heavily sedated. THE AVIATOR just won best soundtrack. How much less could I care? None, none less caring. Mick Jagger just won for “Old Habits Die Hard” his ode to Keith Richards. Has Mick Jagger secretly been replaced by Iggy Pop? They appear to be the same person.

Promo for RAY – great. I’m gonna watch it over and over.

Clint Eastwood has won best director for MILLION DOLLAR BABY. And Quentin Tarentino has the hugest chin in all the land.

My sweet lovah Jamie Foxx just won for RAY and I forgive him in advance for forgetting to thank me. And his speech is sweet as can be. He is preaching! Trying so hard not to cry talking about his granny – sweet, sweet Jamie. (The theme of this paragraph is “sweet”.)

Robin Williams was honored and deserves it. Except for PATCH ADAMS.

Leonardo DiCaprio won best actor in a drama for the AVIATOR and this is getting mortifying! I have only seen one of the winning movies and that was mostly out of lust for Jamie Foxx.

DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES won best comedy. Hurrah! That is one of my shows! (The other two are LOST and VERONICA MARS, if you are curious.) I love the creator. Very funny speech, self deprecating and Mom-thanking. Got to love that…

Hillary Swank just won for MILLION DOLLAR BABY. I may have to go see that sooner rather than later. She has a funny little lisp and she sort of looks like she is slouching. There is something about her that I really like and yet the only thing I have ever seen her in is KARATE KID III. I keep meaning to see BOYS DON”T CRY but I know she dies and I just don’t want to see that. ‘Cause she’s so dang likeable.


SIDEWAYS won best comedy/musical. I swear it is on my list.

AVIATOR won best drama. Uh huh, I guess I had best see that one, too.

Goody, I can go to bed now.

Nighty night.

1 comment:

hillary said...

Hello, dolly --

This isn't boring at all! It's very informative and helpful, not to mention witty and entertaining (all adjectives that describe Real Librarians, by the way).

I think Natalie Portman was totally taken by surprise, esp. considering she was up against Meryl Streep. (And I did NOT like Meryl's snarky comment to Natalie when she got up later to present.) I do love Natalie, and I think she *is* Harvard material, but I also think maybe the champagne at her table got uncorked a bit too early.

My favorite moment was Jamie Foxx's story about how his agent (or whoever it was) told him not to get too crazy in Miami at New Year's, and I wish I could remember the exact wording.

PS -- Did you know this entry is posted twice?