Friday, January 21, 2005

The occasional brilliant idea-

I had a brilliant idea at work today. I have been wondering what I will do for work this summer. I really do need to work, but I don't want to do anything horrible. So the administration sent out a letter asking if anyone was interested in running an enrichment camp. I thought it might be fun to do an acting-writing-production camp for grades 5-8. Kind of like the Hannah Show. So rather than just think, "Wow, what a great idea..." the way I usually do I actually got off my bewtox and talked to BOB (the former media teacher and current head of nearly everything) and he took me down to the community access studio and I talked to ROB the community access tv guy and he liked the idea. Hurrah! So I am writing a proposal and I will hopefully spend my summer doing acting, writing and media with surly middle schoolers. Hurrah!

In other news - I did finally finish a few books. THE GIANT'S HOUSE was just as good this time as it was the last time I read it. The YA book, RHYMES WITH WITCHES was a good read, but I didn't like the ending even the tiniest bit. Right now I am reading THE WRITING ON THE WALL which I nearly didn't bother with. As a matter of fact, if I hadn't been trapped in the bathroom (boys fighting over the ps2 - I want no part of this, I barricade myself in the hopper) I would not have made it past the first 3 pages. I am glad I did. It is about a woman (a librarian) in New York City and her response to 9-11. It deals with language and loss and I have not the capability to describe it without making it sound stupid. But I feel like I missed a lot of the emotional impact of 9-11 because my Dad was dying. Frankly, I think I lucked out.

Don't ask how many rally races I have done on ps2. It is a sick insidious machine and I enjoy it so. I am starting classes tomorrow (!) and then - no more races, no more tv, no more fiction, no more movies, no more fun. Except the fun of knowing that my knowledge base is expanding. Yeah, right...

OOH! Speaking of TV (well, I have mentioned it in passing) I have learned that Allison Hannigan (Willow on BtVS) is going to be a recurring (hopefully) character on VERONICA MARS. And since I was going to name my daughters (who inconveniently were born with penises) Veronica, I am going to take this as a sign of our deep friendship that transcends the impediments of our not actually ever having met.

Off to work where I plan to watch THE PRESIDENT'S DAUGHTER starring the perky Katie Holmes. Oh yes indeedeedo!

1 comment:

hillary said...

OMG -- I'm watching E! News Weekend right now, and just as I was reading your paragraph about Veronica Mars/Allison Hannigan, they did a segment on it on the show. I must go lie down and contemplate this cosmic convergence.